In 1893, Madison Weeks, who had previously farmed on the West Bank of the river for several years, sold the property to the well known Brown family. The brown family has many tombstones on the property, relatives to Totch Brown and the remaining Brown’s on the Island. Half of the homestead was purchased by GeorgeBruner, a big-game hunter from Indiana and called it “Poinciana Camp” after the huge trees growing on the grounds. Nelson, a well known local fisherman acquired it in 1958. The property would have several owners before Outward Bound from Asheville, North Carolina, bought what was then called “Sunset Lodge” in 1986. Ever since, Outward Bound has used the historic property, conducting programs for the youth using wilderness as a way to “focus on developing compassion for oneself and others”.